What to do in Pyrgos Santorini
Pyrgos is a charming village located in the center of Santorini, known for its traditional architecture, narrow streets, and panoramic views. Here are some things to do in Pyrgos:
- Explore Pyrgos Village: Take a leisurely stroll through the picturesque streets of Pyrgos. Admire the traditional Cycladic architecture, whitewashed houses, and blue-domed churches. The village is known for its well-preserved medieval character and offers a tranquil ambiance.
- Visit Pyrgos Castle: Climb up to Pyrgos Castle, also known as Kasteli, which stands at the highest point of the village. From the castle ruins, you can enjoy panoramic views of the island, including the caldera, surrounding villages, and the Aegean Sea. It's a great spot to watch the sunset or take memorable photographs.
- Wine Tasting: Pyrgos is surrounded by vineyards and is home to several wineries. Take the opportunity to visit a local winery and enjoy wine tastings. Santorini is renowned for its unique volcanic wines, such as Assyrtiko, Nykteri, and Vinsanto. Learn about the winemaking process and indulge in the flavors of the region.
- Dine at Local Tavernas: Pyrgos has a variety of traditional tavernas where you can sample authentic Greek cuisine. Enjoy delicious dishes made with fresh local ingredients and experience the warm hospitality of the locals.
More things to do
- Visit the Monastery of Profitis Ilias: Located on the highest peak of Santorini, just a short distance from Pyrgos, is the Monastery of Profitis Ilias. Explore the monastery, admire its distinctive architecture, and enjoy panoramic views of the island from its vantage point.
- Hike to Mesa Vouno: Embark on a hike to Mesa Vouno, the mountain that overlooks Pyrgos and the surrounding area. The trail takes you through scenic landscapes, vineyards, and chapels, offering fantastic views along the way. At the summit, you'll find the remains of the ancient Thera settlement.
- Discover Art Galleries: Pyrgos is known for its art scene, and you'll find several art galleries showcasing works by local and international artists. Explore the galleries and appreciate the diverse range of artwork, including paintings, sculptures, and ceramics.
- Participate in a Cooking Class: Experience the flavors of Santorini by joining a cooking class in Pyrgos. Learn to prepare traditional Greek dishes and get hands-on experience with local ingredients. It's a great way to immerse yourself in the culinary culture of the island.